The coronavirus pandemic made the summer transfer market unlike any before it, but there were still plenty of deals, and you can check out the major ones here. The window might be closed across the top leagues in Europe, but here are the best rumours from around the globe.
TOP STORY: PSG and Juventus could be interested in Ramos
Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus might be interested in signing Sergio Ramos, as reported by Fabrizio Romano on his Here We Go podcast.
The defender’s contract with Real Madrid comes to an end in 2021, which could leave him free to leave if it is not renewed.
This is reported to have tempted PSG and Juve into trying to bring in the Spain international, who is widely considered among the world’s best defenders, even at 34 years old.
Their efforts might come to nothing, though, as both Real and Ramos are reportedly interested in signing up to new terms.
– Stream ESPN FC Daily on ESPN+ (U.S. only)
– ESPN+ viewer’s guide: Bundesliga, Serie A, MLS, FA Cup and more
15.45 BST: Everton’s in-form striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin was signed for “a lot less” than the reported fee of £1.5m from Sheffield United in August 2016, according to the club’s academy chief David Unsworth.
Calvert-Lewin, 23, has scored seven goals in five games already this season to help unbeaten Everton climb to the top of the Premier League table, while he also made his England debut earlier this month.
The striker was linked with an £80m move to Manchester United over the summer, but that would have been some profit given how much Everton spent to sign him.
“I can assure you it was nowhere near the amount of money that people bandied about! I won’t say the exact fee but it was a lot less than what you just quoted [£1.5m],” Unsworth told Sky Sports. “I still smile when I think about how we managed to prise him away. It was all about timing and Sheffield United were in League One and had just got a new manager. Dominic wasn’t going to play a big part in trying to get them out of League One. Chris [Wilder] decided to go down the experience route and has proven to be very successful.
“We managed to get Dom into our Under 23s at the time, and he’s a player I’d worked with previously during my time as a coach at Sheffield United as a 16-year-old. I’d always followed him and tried to plot his journey when he went on two loan periods [at Stalybridge Celtic and Northampton Town].
“I watched him and I was absolutely delighted to bring him to the club. It was a fantastic signing for us, and he is now producing the sorts of displays and playing as well as we could ever have imagined when he was a young player. He’s outstanding and has been a brilliant signing for us.”
14.41 BST: PSV Eindhoven striker Donyell Malen has attracted plenty of attention since he left Arsenal in 2017 to join the Dutch club for around £500,000.
Malen, 21, has 33 goals and 16 assists in 78 games for PSV so far and although a knee injury stopped any chance of a move over the summer window, he is still of interest to his former side.
Reports in the Netherlands say that Arsenal are keen to re-sign him, while Juventus have also been in touch.
13.50 BST: Could Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta have done more with Mesut Ozil?
Mikel Arteta says Mesut Ozil had “opportunities like everybody else” to make Arsenal’s Premier League squad.
13.19 BST: AC Milan will return for Celtic defender Kristoffer Ajer in January, says Tuttosport.
Ajer, 22, will play for Celtic against Milan on Thursday night in the Europa League, but Milan are keen to sign the Norwegian in the coming months. The Italian club had offered a loan with an option to buy over the summer but the deal fell through.
Celtic had wanted around €35m to let Ajer go, but the COVID-19 pandemic has reduced that considerably.
12.37 BST: Juventus are keen on Sporting Lisbon starlet Joelson Fernandes, according to Calciomercato.
Fernandes, 17, has been tracked by Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Barcelona and Ajax over the past year, no doubt in part due to the fact the winger has attracted the ‘new Cristiano Ronaldo‘ tag.
Arsenal reportedly made a €20m offer to sign Fernandes in the summer and the player’s father and agent, Eusebio Mango Fernandes, told O Democrata about his son’s decision to stay in Lisbon: “It had to be a thoughtful decision, because my wish as a father and agent, on the day that Joelson Fernandes leaves Sporting, is to be friendly and through the big door, but not through the back door.
“It was an extremely difficult and very complicated process, because there were tough moments in the negotiations for Joelson Fernandes to stay at Sporting. My wish was always for him to stay at the club, but due to his quality as a footballer, he had calls from several European clubs.
“Despite these very tempting offers, as an agent, I ended up dispensing with these invitations, despite knowing that I needed those millionaire offers, but I thought that in life money isn’t everything, because we must be aware that there’s a word called ‘gratitude’, for that, we are grateful to Sporting for what they gave.”
11.45 BST: Manchester City’s injury problems have worsened with Fernandinho expected to be out for up to six weeks, but they’ve also got a situation to deal with surrounding Eric Garcia.
Garcia, 19, made it clear that he wouldn’t sign a new contract this summer, with his current one expiring in 2021, and that he wanted to join Barcelona. The Catalan club made a final offer of €10m and €8m in variables to sign the defender, but that was rejected and Mundo Deportivo reports that he was “angry” about being told to stay.
Chances are that Garcia will still get his move in January but, after spending €68m to sign Ruben Dias from Benfica this summer, City are going to need to get another defender to replace him.
11.11 BST: Bayern Munich are a seriously strong team.
Ale Moreno says Bayern Munich showed they are a “complete team” in a 4-0 win over Atletico Madrid.
10.29 BST: Inter Milan playmaker Christian Eriksen has struggled since moving to Serie A from Tottenham in January.
Eriksen, 28, seems to be out of favour under manager Antonio Conte and was linked with a host of clubs this summer. Indeed, Calciomercato claims that Borussia Dortmund failed in an approach to bring him in on loan.
09.54 BST: Juventus have Real Madrid pair Marcelo and Isco back on their radar in the winter transfer window, according to Mundo Deportivo.
The two players, who are tied to Madrid until June 2022, were linked with Juve last year. With both players struggling at Madrid, the Bianconeri are hopeful that Real will sit down and negotiate.
According to the report, Juve are prepared to pay Madrid’s asking price of €40m for Isco, while they would only sign Brazilian left-back Marcelo if the 32-year-old arrives as a free agent.
The pair have been on the receiving end of recent criticism after their poor display in Real Madrid’s 1-0 home defeat to Cadiz on Saturday.
09.07 BST: Brighton centre-back Ben White was being linked with a move to Liverpool even before the injury to Virgil van Dijk.
White, 23, is tipped for a bright future but The Sun claims that Brighton want at least £50m for him, which will put off a lot of interested clubs.
08.32 BST: Inter Milan are confident Lautaro Martinez will extend his contract with the club beyond his current deal which expires in June 2023.
The Argentina international has been a target of Barcelona in previous transfer windows. Barca re-opened talks to sign Martinez this summer but no deal was reached, with the Catalan giants needing to sell players to acquire the 23-year-old striker.
“Regarding a contract extension, there’s no rush,” Inter club administrator Giuseppe Marotta said when asked about Martinez’s contract extension. “Sooner or later we will attend to this, it’s not a problem. The rapport is optimum.”
Martinez has raised eyebrows since joining Inter from Racing Club in July 2018 for a reported €22.7m fee.
08.00 BST: Philippe Coutinho and Antoine Griezmann are among the players negotiating new contracts with Barcelona as part of short-term cost-cutting measures at Camp Nou, sources have told ESPN’s Sam Marsden and Moises Llorens.
Sergio Busquets and Sergi Roberto, who share the same agent, are also in talks over renewed terms as Barca continue to seek ways to limit the financial repercussions of the coronavirus pandemic.
Gerard Pique, Marc-Andre ter Stegen, Frenkie de Jong and Clement Lenglet have already agreed new deals. Barca confirmed on Tuesday that the quartet’s new contracts “include a temporary salary adjustment due to the current circumstances brought about by the COVID-19 induced crisis.”
Sources told ESPN that means they have accepted a reduction to their wages for the 2020-21 season but will be remunerated in the latter years of their new contracts.
Coutinho and Griezmann, whose deals run until 2023 and 2024 respectively, are also negotiating a similar adjustment to their deals which would help the club bring down spending for this season.
Mark Ogden fears Manchester United’s financial struggles shows no team is immune from the impact of Covid-19.
PAPER TALK (by Danny Lewis)
Man City monitoring Torres
Manchester City are monitoring Villarreal centre-back Pau Torres, according to Fabrizio Romano on the Here We Go podcast.
• How the summer transfer market works
• Kuper: Coronavirus’ impact on transfers
• Barnwell’s best moves: 100-51 | 50-1
• Best statement signings ever
• Summer transfer grades
• Latest completed major transfers
The Premier League runners-up signed Nathan Ake and Ruben Dias, from Bournemouth and Benfica respectively, in the most recent transfer window for over £100m.
However, it seems that City boss Pep Guardiola still isn’t completely happy with the options at the heart of his defence, despite his spending more than £400m on defensive reinforcements since his arrival at the Etihad in 2016.
Therefore, City might be about to spend yet more money on the problem position to bring in the 23-year-old Torres.
Sevilla looking at Kepa loan
Kepa Arrizabalaga isn’t the happiest or most popular player at Chelsea at the moment. The 26-year-old now seems to be battling Willy Caballero to be second choice, following the arrival of Edouard Mendy.
However, Sevilla might be set to give Kepa a temporary route out of Stamford Bridge in January, according to Estadio Deportivo.
It has been suggested that the Blues might be willing to loan him out in January, with Sevilla’s director of football, Monchi, interested to see how things develop.
However, it has been suggested that the club would not be willing to pay all of his wages, and Chelsea would need to severely lower their expectations regarding the fee if a permanent move is to happen.
– Barcelona tried to loan out Matheus Fernandes in the summer window, according to Sport. It seems clear that new head coach Ronald Koeman has little time for the midfielder, as he has called Barcelona B players into the first-team set up ahead of him. Although the Brazilian remains at the club, it is hard to see where things go from here.
– Burnley, Watford and Swansea City are interested in free agent Fabio Borini, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. The Italian has been available since he left Hellas Verona at the end of last season and has been training on his own in Liverpool. He claims to have had offers in Italy, but he had a desire to return to England, where he has previously represented the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool.
Published: 2020-10-22 14:35:51
Tags: #PSG #Juventus #monitoring #Sergio #Ramos #contract #situation